Art Business Intro Workshop- NOV 2017
Art Business Intro Workshop- NOV 2017
Art Business Refresher !
Held at (The Meredith Interpretive Center - 10 Wallace Street, Meredith)*
Sat 18th Nov at 12 PM - 2 PM
This workshop is a introduction into arts business management to get you on the right track. For members of The BOP they are $20/ NON Members $50
Hosted by Samantha Thompson - BOP Director and Visual Artist for over 18 years.
Every day I get asked by fellow Artists how to promote their work, how to turn their hobby into a viable career. Artists spend years honing their skill and establishing an identity, many like myself seek out higher education through TAFE or University. But still numerous budding artists are left with no knowledge on how to operate a successful studio or how to promote their work through networking and public events.
After running successful workshops for many years with artists and art groups, I'm now able to offer a refresher workshop for BOP members and other interested artists. Perhaps circumstances have required your passion to take a backseat? Perhaps you are disheartened by the lack of interest? Come and learn how to generate interest and make time for what has the opportunity to be a profitable and rewarding business if you choice that path.
More details about my work history,
After 18 years of running and operating my own self promoted arts studio, and at the same time working within my family design business, I have a wealth of practical advice to share. I had the great advantage of growing up in my father retail rag trade, and I worked there for many years before I started to work for my sister’s International retail and wholesale design business. At 16, I was assisting Sydney wholesale shows, at 19 I was representing the brand in NZ and setting up and selling on behalf of the brand in NYC.
I have been exposed to years of design and art business, in retail and on a wholesale level. This experience has help to mold my current art practice and until recently I was still a part of the design team, working in International brand promotions and dealing with retail and whole clients. I have run cafes, had my own art gallery in St Kilda, studied Studio Textiles design at RMIT and traveled the world for my art. I feel this experience’s has put me in a fantastic position to help foster new talent. I understand the challenges of investing time and money into your work while still needing to pay your bills. I have 3 boys that I balance my work around, while running The BOP and working full time in the arts. I love what I do and I’m passionate about getting more original work into people homes. I think artists are not in competition with each other, we are a group and when one is successful, we all benefit.
What’s on offer:
The workshop really is about you and how my experience can best help your practice, a guideline of what could be covered are as follows.
1. Definitions of an artist or designer, what qualification will you need
2. Self-worth as an artist/designer, don’t work for free!
3. What do you want from your art? A successful International design company? A small busy home studio? To be represented by top Art Galleries?
4. How to photograph, reproduce and have a strong brand from the beginning.
5. A look at your current work, does it have consistency? What makes you different?
6. Material and medium, what NOT to use!
7. Price structure, how to price your work so that it sells.
8. How and where to show/sell your work for your current experience.
9. How to use social media, the internet, and print and press to promote your business on a tight budget.
10. How to write a press release, what to include.
11. How to approach stores and galleries with success.
12. How to invoice, get great working habits in the studio including tax, invoicing, understanding artist rights.
13. Practical advice for Australia artist and designer ongoing support available online.
14. Understanding who and why people buy your work.
15. Website and online shop information.
16. How to be professional online.
17. Networking, how to gain from it.
18. Trademark and copyright information
19. And any other questions you would like to ask!
The workshop will start with a chat about you! Please bring some examples of you work, a note book and pen.
If you have any questions please let me know!
The fee for the workshop is $20 for The BOP members/ $50 for NON Members
PH 0429 487 721